The Ice Nymphs: a chance for a prophetic and biblical adventure. join in!

World of Storm and Fury: OOC Comments: The Ice Nymphs: a chance for a prophetic and biblical adventure. join in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Blithe, Spared Child of the North (Blithe) on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 07:54 pm: Edit Post

I was looking at these gals, and my interest is piqued. My character, Blithe, killed one in her first post, by way of her Cold Aura.

(This might not seem to fit, seeing as Ice Nymphs are themselves borne of glacier and iceberg. My way of explaining this is that her Cold Aura, at its core, is vastly colder than ice at its lowest possible temperature.)

But I digress. Some background is required before I come to my point. As you will note on my character profile, Blithe was taken underwater by an unknown, mildly humanoid form at birth and given her tremendous gift/curse. I propose that this occurred for a prophetic, providential reason, a reason directly intertwined with the fate and way of life of these Ice Nymphs. Perhaps the mysterious, underwater giver of the Cold Aura was a form of demigod, or an ancient and long-forgotten creature from the days when the planet was still young, or perhaps even a Messiah of sorts.

Any way you slice it, Blithe, with her ability to create ice wherever her feet tread, is now in a position to act as a birther of life for these Ice Nymphs. How they accept her and/or use her, either as an exalted being sent from the heavens, or as a slave ice machine, is up to chance and collective tale-spinning. But if anyone wants to set up an ice nymph character, or indeed any character that would fit into such a tale, is welcome to join in some fun! I think this could be a very special story that could, eventually, stretch as far as the Imperial lands, with, for example, a glacial superexpansion and continental invasion!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Blithe, Spared Child of the North (Blithe) on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 07:56 pm: Edit Post

we should, of course, expand on these Ice Nymphs, their societal structure, these religious rites, more on their appearances, their capabilities, lifespan, and so forth...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fabled Lizardite Deity (Origanuth) on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 10:45 pm: Edit Post

Indeed we should, however if you have any solid ideas feel free to post them and we can make them an official part of the site, if they're good enough :-).

In case you're interested, my Lizardytes don't like the cold very much, in fact it quickly freezes them.....however they also have a natural anti-freeze and thus once un-frozen they will come back to life with no apparent ill-effect.

Anyway, as we have very few racial write-ups there is no standard template for how it ought to be done, write as much or as little as you'd like, it'll be more than we already have :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Blithe, Spared Child of the North (Blithe) on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 11:38 pm: Edit Post

Yeah, I figured your Lizardytes wouldn't be too much a fan of Blithe hehe, but if they have the antifreeze, perhaps the Lizardytes can cross paths with her or the Ice Nymphs at some point. Should be fun! Anyway, maybe something like this...

Ice Nymphs

Origins:
These are the daughters of the submerged Northern icebergs, born into life by the motion of the waves and creaks of the ice, only to move to the frozen lands once they are mature. Little is known of how they came to be, what magic it was that coaxed a life spark from the sullen and desolate churning of the Northernmost seas of Oortesia. Yet it is believed that they are descended from something stronger and older than any race currently in existence.

Appearance:
They are all female: tall and statuesque and fair and warlike. Though humanoid in shape, little else of their properties, myriad and mysterious, can be likened to conventional sentient life. Their body temperature, as logic might dictate, ranges from slightly below zero to as low as minus sixty. Those of lower body temperature have distinctly brutish, Charcharian features, such as hunched backs and broad shoulders, or a vicious array of teeth and powerful torsos. This is usually the result of a strong male breeding partner. Most of those closer to the freezing point are willowy and beautiful, intelligent, fast and proud, quiet, quick to anger, and possessive of great magic (see Traits).

Society/Habits:
Ice-Nymphs are amphibious creatures. While they reside and lead their lives in Ice-Citadels on the Frozen Northlands, they do indeed return to the waters every once in a while: to breed with the sharks. Those that have the highest body temperatures are usually selected as ideal mates for the sharks, as they are more acclimatized to the "warm" water and can remain below surface for much longer, while those in the minus forty-sixty range are usually trained as warriors, for they are generally hardier and tougher.
Where matters of the spirit are concerned, they give no recognition to the predominant religion of Yarelaeism. In governing, and allowing themselves to be governed by, the icy currents of the Sea, they hold great respect for the God they call Quque'uhuait (koo-KWAY-oo-WAYT), a deity believed to have spawned the element water itself while locked in titanic struggle with the planet's core, Goalheim (Goo-al-HEY-em). Upon the full moon following every Summer Solstice, the Ice Nymphs will descend collectively into the waters to collect and nurture Quque'uhuait's lifeseed from the bottom of the glaciers. This lifeseed becomes the next generation of Nymphs. Similarly, that their breed may continue, every year upon the first full moon following the Winter Solstice, they will collectively walk across the frozen ocean to deposit their fallen sisters upon the tops of the same glaciers that are their iconic circle of life.

Traits:

well, I've got to go now, so maybe somebody else wants to pitch in on Traits?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Blithe, Spared Child of the North (Blithe) on Monday, February 04, 2008 - 03:12 am: Edit Post

ok guys, I've got a pretty solid idea going on here. I've got it all figured out, but I want to do a really proper job of it, so I'm just going to put it all together really well and then post it in a new subject.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration